How to complain about a public service

Too often victims and survivors are let down by agencies that should be there to protect them. The Domestic Abuse Commissioner is clear that this is unacceptable. Many victims and survivors write to the Commissioner to share their experiences and she is grateful for every piece of correspondence she receives. This helps the Commissioner to be closely informed by the issues facing victims and survivors every day, and is crucial in shaping her priorities.

You can only complain about a public service through their official procedures, which are listed here, and the Domestic Abuse Commissioner cannot make a complaint on an individual’s behalf. However, if you would like to tell the Commissioner about the complaint that you have made, and any response you’ve received, information about how to do so is provided at the bottom of this page.

How to complain about an agency

What is the Commissioner doing to drive change?

The voices of people subject to domestic abuse are integral in shaping the Commissioner’s priorities. Read more below about how the Domestic Abuse Commissioner is working to drive change in policy and practice across her thematic priorities.

How to write to the Domestic Abuse Commissioner

The Domestic Abuse Commissioner is grateful for every piece of correspondence she receives from people subject to domestic abuse. Whilst the Commissioner is legally unable to intervene in individual cases, your story is invaluable in shaping the Commissioner’s priorities. If you would like to, you can share your story and/or your thoughts on what needs to change to improve the response to domestic abuse with the Commissioner. You can do this by writing to [email protected].

Confidentiality statement

Whatever you tell the Domestic Abuse Commissioner or any members of her team, will not be shared with anyone else, except in certain circumstances. The only times we will share what you have told us, are:

  • If you give us specific consent to do so, or
  • If we believe an adult or child is at imminent risk of significant harm, or
  • If a court of law instructs us to, for example if evidence is required for criminal proceedings.

This means on rare occasions, we will not be able to keep your details confidential and we may need to involve statutory agencies. Where possible, we will seek to involve you in this process.